Wednesday, November 2, 2011

November 2


Posted by Picasa
Okay, so I've mentioned a few times on this blog about making my own bird suet.
I really thought that I'd done a post with my 'recipe' on it, but I've looked back and can't find it.  So here it is again, and if this is the second time, I'm sorry!

I buy some bags of ground suet at Fraser Valley Meats in the frozen section.
I will say though, that they don't always have it in the store :(

In my big soup pan, melt over low-ish heat:
1 bag of suet
lots of peanut butter
When this is totally melted, add:
bird seed
And whatever else you have on hand that birds like, such as:
raisins
peanuts
bits of fruit
bread and cookie crumbs
I also add:
yellow corn meal til the consistency is right.  It should be hard to stir and stick together a bit.  Keep in mind that when it cools off, it should keep it's shape.  The corn meal is important because it works a bit like glue, holding it all together.

I take a plastic container the same-ish size as a store-bought suet block (so yours will fit in a suet feeder), place a big piece of saran wrap in the container and scoop the suet in there.  Pat it down and wrap it tight.  Turn blocks over onto a cookie sheet and freeze.
Now they are ready to use!
Store in the freezer and use as needed.
Just unwrap and slide into your suet feeder.  If you don't have a suet feeder, you can use a net.  I sometimes use one of the nets that triple packs of hot dog wieners or packs of bacon come in.  See below.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks! I certainly hope to give this a try this year! -Krista

    ReplyDelete